How to Make a Square Knot
The square knot (SK) is everywhere in hemp jewelry so this is a definite need-to-know.
Before you can make an SK, you need to know how to make a LHK and a RHK.
Step by Step
An SK is simply 2 HK's: LHK, and a RHK. Unless specified, it doesn't matter which one you begin with - the important thing is that they alternate. I'm left-handed, so I always start with a LHK, but you can start with whichever you are most comfortable.
- Make an HK. In the diagram below (Fig. 4), I started with a LHK.
- Take the right knotter (strand #1), and bring it across the two fillers and the left knotter (strands 2, 3, and 4) as shown below, making sure to form a loop at the right. (Fig. 4)
- Bring the left knotter (strand 4) over strand 1, under the filler cords (the blue ones), and up through the loop made by strand 1. (Fig. 5)
- Tighten and you're done.
- The diagrams above illustrate a LSK. To make a RSK, follow the instructions above starting with a RHK instead of a LHK.
- A sennet (or sinnet) of SK's produces a flat chain or length. To make your work spiral, make a sennet of HK's.
Did you enjoy this article? Please give it a "like" to let us know ~Christine
Related Books and Supplies
Here are some great books to check out if you're interested in learning more about how to make friendship bracelets. We've set you up with some tools of the trade, too! ;)
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.
copyright© cghandmade jewellery and publishing 2007-2016 all rights reserved