I Need Some Education For Earring "Coverings"



I need to replace the "covering" on these earrings. The original is Lucite or something and I am looking for glass or crystal replacements. However, I don't even know what to call that type of item.

The earrings have a butterfly wing underneath the plastic covering which has a picture reverse painted on it. I just want plain crystal or glass pieces of the same shape (a bit domed) as the plastic so that you just see the wing - no picture.

I tried to remove the painting, but ruined the plastic in the process. :(

Can you tell me what this type of item is called and where I can get them? I've seen other butterfly wing jewelry of different shapes and sizes that I'd like to do the same thing to.

Thanks for your help.

Comments for I Need Some Education For Earring "Coverings"

Average Rating starstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

You could try resin
by: Kim (aka Cisray)

Trying to find a replacement presents a few problems.

1) I know I've seen something similar but, sorry, don't have a bookmark. These pieces are liable to be called by several different names and matching size could be a real problem.

2) Trying to apply a replacement piece may leave excess glue and mar the overall effect.

If there is a slight lip left after removing the clear domes you might try using a clear resin to fill in and protect the illustration. ICE Resin is available at a number of beading and craft sites and would work wonderfully.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and create your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Questions - Jewelry Finding and Supply .

If you enjoyed this web page please "like" this page.  Thanks!