Make a Box-Styled Gimp Friendship Bracelet
The gimp friendship bracelet is one of those unchanging friendship bracelet styles that will always be in fashion. I'm no gimp expert and I'm not a gimp history buff either, but it seems to me that the gimp bracelet has been a beloved craft of kids and teens throughout the ages. Or at least since the '80's which is when I first learn how to make one.
What is gimp?
Gimp is a plastic lacing used to make bracelets, keychains, pullies and even bookmarks I understand that some also call it "boondoggle". As my son (2 and a half) says, "Funny word!".
This article will teach to do a simple stitch called the square or box stitch.
Things You'll Need
- Two strands of gimp lacing, any color (can be found at craft stores)
- Super glue (optional)
- Matches (optional)
- Pony beads (optional)
First cut two pieces of gimp from two different colors.
Fold them in half to find the centers.
Hold both pieces in one hand.
Place one on top of the other
|Step 3:||Twist one around twice, making two loops.|
Take the other piece and weave it above the first one and under the second. Remember over under.
Do the same to the other side of the strand.
Do the same pattern on the rest, over first under second, over first under second, pull tight.
Make the gimp sinnet (chain of knotted gimp) as long as it needs to be (use a measuring tape on your wrist and add an inch).
Tie a knot at the end or melt the end with a match
Super glue the ends together and then slip it around your wrist. You could also use metal clasps.
- Be careful. It is easy for you to get your string twisted. If that happens take out that row and redo it. It's as simple as that.
- Beginning can be difficult and take lots of practice. Remember to have extra gimp just in case you ruin some.
- If your fingers get tired or get blisters on them, take a break. You can always continue work on it later.
- If you don't have super glue you can tie the ends together, but these can easily come out. You can also use a match to melt the ends together. Children should have adult supervision however.
- It is possible to make a "seamless" bracelet. A safety pin is usually helpful in loosening the first square knot so that it can be connected.
Did you enjoy this article? Please give it a "like" to let us know ~Christine
Related Books and Supplies
Here are some great books to check out if you're interested in learning more about how to make gimp friendship bracelets. We've set you up with some tools of the trade, too! ;)
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.
copyright© cghandmade jewellery and publishing 2007-2016 all rights reserved